I would like to keep as much of this bike as I can original, so I have been cleaning and examining all the parts. I found tiny traces of red and blue enamel under the newer paint, but not enough to get a real idea of the original scheme.
I am thinking of painting the frame and mudguards Indian Red, with black lugs and the stars red on a white ground as they were before, and also include a white traditional safety strip at the lower end of the rear guard. The Indian red reminds me of some old motorcycle colours and seems a pleasing muted colour. I don’t want the lugs to stand out too much as they are quite plain, so the darker red and black should blend reasonably well.
Here are some more parts disassembled :
Perry coaster brake hub – the original worn sprocket is 18T, a N.O.S. Villiers 16T for comparison. I want to fit a 20T or so to help with the hilly terrain where I live.
The 5 little square head bolts allow the chainwheel to be removed independently from its crank – the cotter pins in plastic packet are from my youth ! The caged bearings are new, but I think I’ll use new plain 1/4″ ones instead.
Pedals like these can be fully serviced, not like most modern throwaway ones. I will fit new bearings, though I know the treads are very worn – we’ll see, I might fit new pedals if I can find similar modern ones later. The Britannia grips are beyond saving.
Here is the front hub rebuilt with new bearings – it has no locknuts for the cones so I hope it stays in adjustment. No tight-fitting seals either, so I put some O-rings on to keep out the dirt.