The past several days of heat and humidity and paralysis tick dramas with the cat have stopped me from riding this week. However, today I started to re-assemble the little Dahon folder. I find it helpful when doing bike rebuilds to keep the large parts organised in large foam boxes and use smaller sealed food containers for bearings, bolts and small part groups.
Photographing the bike before disassembly helps remind me where cables run and how components should look when assembled, otherwise it’s easy to gradually forget where everything goes as the weeks or months go by, and that’s frustration I don’t need.
Things fell into place reasonably well today, but there were the usual struggles with the play in various bearings, adjusting the brakes, shortening and fitting a new chain, re-adjusting the gears and so on. I had to remove the folding castor wheel and refit it too, as the crank won’t go through the bottom bracket otherwise ….
The bell has polished up well and I made a new simplified indicator cover for the trigger shifter. The brake cables were OK so I just hung them up and ran cable lube through them over a few days. I fitted new brake shoes as well. The gear cable was broken, so I replaced it. I filed down a Shimano cable as I didn’t have a Sturmey Archer cable at hand – the nipple is smaller on the S-A .
The frame hinge locking levers and folding castor bolts use tiny circlips that don’t accept pliers and have a tendency to spring off into the blue while being fitted. Phew – I was lucky to find that one ! A Selle Royale gel saddle seemed a good choice of seat for this bike, so I will give it a try.
I have fitted a front guard that isn’t quite the right size but I really wanted to keep the road muck out of the front brake and steering head bearings. It seems to hold steady without stays so far. I’ll think about it …
Gave it a quick ride to see how it felt. “Flexy”, “frivolous” and “fun” seem to be the right words. A little more detail fiddling and tweaking and I’ll do a ride report in the near future.